Old 08-25-07, 01:29 PM
RobertHurst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
I see your point about the apparent contradiction in referring to someone who clips you as a "close-passer", since he hit you. But, then, he did at least attempt to pass you (very) closely... so doesn't that still make him a "close-passer"?

Semantics aside, the point of this poll is to get a feel for how common it is for at least the group of cyclists who respond to this poll to have been clipped by someone attempting to pass them too closely.

The genesis of all this stems from the fact that the cycling practices I use and advocate include attempting to achieve good/safe passing distances by faster traffic coming from behind, and I've been accused of being a hysterical, fear mongering nervous Nellie for doing that.

But I have to say that the percentage of those responding so far that have been hit or clipped during a close pass attempt is much higher than I anticipated.

And I appreciate the stories. Keep 'em coming. I think they're helpful.

If someone drives up behind a cyclist, fails to notice them, and hits them (a la nova's reply), that cannot really be labeled a failed pass, right? That is an instance of a driver failing to notice a cyclist in the first place. Does this poll only address close passes? What about the rest of hit-from-behind incidents?

Robert