Old 08-27-07, 09:05 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Hmm. This is slightly unrelated (except for the fact that it happened on Coral Gables roads), but I recall a case in where a hot-footed, white Ford Excursion attempted to pass me on one of the Gables' traditional, narrow, two-lane (one for each direction of traffic) roads, less then 50 feet from a stop sign ahead.

I had already moved out slightly farther into the center of the lane to discourage passing, but that didn't stop him/her (probably the latter - soccer moms are known for aggressive driving around here) from pulling out to pass (there was no oncoming traffic).

As the speed they were going - once they moved over - was no more then a few MPH faster then I, I chanced it: I put out the "stop" signal with my palm extended downwards, and moved farther left into the lane (pulling my hand back in, just in case of a close shave), shutting them off from making the pass. By then, there was no space to pull back in the lane either, so it worked - and worked well too, I might add.

I turned right immediately afterwards, so I didn't have time to find out more about their driving habits, although I did watch them at the stop sign after I turned. They didn't move for about 15 seconds - clear cross traffic and all. Either they were too pissed to continue, or stunned. Who knows?

Take care,

-Kurt

P.S.: Hope you don't mind me barging into your thread Aldo. Incidentally, in regards to your other post, I've seen some roundabout streets that still get some good traffic. I'll sometimes bring my dual-boinger Trek Y3 MTB down there sometimes, specifically to ride over the roundabout as if it were a continuous lane at 20mph. The mere case of a motorist watching this is usually enough to spook the crap out of them. It is entertaining if you have it timed right.