View Single Post
Old 08-28-07, 11:10 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by higgit
You clearly understand what I am trying to achieve.

I really wish I had a 10-speed set-up, but I only got the bike last December so I know my wife would definitely have something to say if I proposed a new Roubaix!!!

In three weeks, I'm going to try to do a century in Canandaigua NY (Bristol Mtn Highlander) with 6000' of ascent. In my collection of parts I have a used 44-32-22 and a 12-23 so I'll get them installed and try these ratios. I'll let you know how it went.

Without the close ratios of the 12-23 I get dropped all too frequently on club rides. It amazes me how much work it takes to accelerate going from a 21 into an 18 (or 18 to 16) trying to keep up.

The amazing thing about all this is that I have become addicted to cycling. There is simply so much to it.

Lovin' it. Many thanks. Ted

I have Sora 8 speed- 11/28 on the Giant- (Changed the standard 12/26 to an MTB one I had kicking about) I did not thing the Ratios were too far apart untill I got the 10 speed Boreas. When I went back to the Giant-I could notice the difference. For someone used to close ratios- It is strange.- But I also need the 30 on the front aswell. 30/28 got me up Ventoux so it must be right for me. I rarely get into the 52 on this bike and mainly ride in the 42. 42/11 seems fast enough for the few flat bits around here.

The choices- That Old MTB triple with the 46/36/28 seems a good choice. This is what we use on the Tandem but It is a compromise crankset. Just fasr enough for the flats and just low enough for the Hills- Well not really but we cheated and put 48/36/24 rings on and that is suitable. Couple that to your 12/23 and you will have a climbing gear- Have a high enough top gear and get back to the close ratios you want.

Spike Milligan