View Single Post
Old 08-28-07, 04:43 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordiep
If I understand your post, it sounds like you are finishing your wraps at the handlebar ends. Traditional practice is to begin at the bar-end. The Park Tool website has a pretty good tutorial on wrapping tape.

For bar-plugs, I use Velox expandable plugs...but some guys use wine corks. There are lots of options available. As another poster mentioned, you can cut the tape flush with the bar end (this is what I do)...or, when you start your wrap, leave a half inch or so of tape hanging off the edge, and stuff it in.

The first time I wrapped my bars, I did a practice wrap with the tape backing still on. You can't pull it tight enough, but it gives you a good idea of how things will go.
+1 on Velox. I just ordered a new set myself. Seems like a mundane part, but they really finish off a bar just right, they never fall out and almost never break. Plus, because they're rubber, they don't scratch the side of my car if I lean my bike up against it. Probably should have stolen the pair off the bike I sold a little while ago...but oh well.