Old 08-30-07, 09:52 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by danielmramos
Do my explanations help a bit more? Thanks, I appreciate any feedback.
Yeah, I hear you.

In terms of chain management, I was thinking that extending the chain to the rear triangle would make the bike hard to fold. Even the Brompton recumbent has to have the belt removed in order to fold the bike. Your point about stress bearing on the front forks is intriguing. I'll have to ponder that more. I've also heard that chain tubes (PVC, etc.) can cause a lot of friction when pedaling. If you're going to use roller guides (a la RANS), then it will be an extra step to figure out how and where to mount those rollers. Not impossible, but just another bit to think about.

I'm glad you clarified your ideas about the seat. At first, it sounded as if all you cared about was seat mounting hardware and budget. I know the HP Velotechnik's Grasshopper uses a seat that is strong enough to be mounted without braces, so there are ways of doing it. Also, I didn't notice it at first, but in the pic you posted, it seems Ness used a front fork as a seat brace. Ingenious!

I'm also curious how your boom will be attached; that seems to be the most challenging part of your project, esp. if it's going to attach to the frame and head tube. Can't wait to see it.

Oh - and here's more inspiration for you.

Last edited by spambait11; 08-30-07 at 09:59 AM.