brucewiley
deep stuff

Bikes: Road, Touring, Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
City park camping

Last week I pulled into Unity, Oregon after a 68 mile day heading west. The RV campground there looked kind of ratty but some local on a bike told me that the city park behind the fire station is a great place to camp and free. Hey, nice bathrooms, soft grass and a great view. How cool!

Didn't bother to put the rain fly on my tent as the weather was great, kicked back a couple of brews and hit the sack.

Yes, 11:30 that night the automatic sprinkler system kicked in. Frantically I placed rocks or bricks in front of the nozzles then went back to my semi wet down sleeping bag. I managed to get back to sleep but at 3:30 a different set of sprinklers popped off, up again re-locating my rocks and bricks. Bed was much wetter this time.

Damned if one hour later the first set blasted me again, another round with the rocks and I didn't sleep much after that one. It wasn't long I just got up and started packing up to get the heck out of there, just as I was getting ready to leave that second set of sprinklers hit me again.

Ok, this all wasn't too funny at the time but it will be one of those things I laugh about for years to come. I only did 10 miles that next day up into the forrest to a campground where I just dried out for the day.

Beware of city parks! And I hope you also can get a laugh out of this with me now that I'm home and comfy.

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
unity-campsite.jpg (61.1 KB, 127 views)