Old 07-01-04, 08:31 AM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
This morning's RoadbikeRider.com newsletter got my blood up (www.roadbikerider.com/151d.htm) and spurred me to pound out the following letter to Giant.

It probably won't do any good, but I now feel better
-----------------------------------

Dear Giant Bicycle:

I am writing to express my supreme disappointment in Giant’s refusal to support the Outdoor Life Network’s coverage of this year’s Tour de France. This was a business opportunity missed, and an outreach effort squandered.

Cycling needs as much exposure as it can get, and by withholding your advertising dollars from OLN (dollars which would be well spent, especially in combination with your sponsorship of a major team) you are not only jeopardizing the quality of future cycling coverage on television, but you are also missing a great opportunity to bolster the exposure of cycling to non-cyclists, people who represent the future of this sport and this industry.

I’m sure that Giant’s decision was grounded upon some sort of rational, but I am petitioning Giant to reconsider the legitimacy of that basis. Televised cycling is where interest in a sport begins; it’s how people decide that something looks fun and challenging and it ultimately inspires them to start pedaling. Indeed, OLN’s excellent coverage last season is what first sparked my interest in the sport and led me to ultimately spend a considerable sum of money on a road bike this past winter. Alas, the bike I finally settled upon did not turn out to be a Giant, but a TCR1 was one of the final contenders. However, based upon what I can only interpret as Giant’s retrogressive vision of the future of cycling, not to mention an potentially counterproductive stance toward the continued popular exposure of the sport, I can honestly say that I am now relieved that I did not purchase a Giant.

I ask that Giant reconsider how it’s presenting its public image, not only for the sake of Giant as a corporation, but for the continued vitality of the sport in general.

I hope my words are not wasted.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by ExMachina; 07-01-04 at 08:46 AM.