View Single Post
Old 09-03-07, 06:26 AM
BSLeVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
...So why is this forum so different? Why is there such a heated debated instead of shrugging this off as a minor thing? ....
The more I think about this issue, the more I think it's a small thing. They're not moving a lot of the posts here. If they do, it would be worth getting them to define their expectations a bit better because they're not consistent. But as it stands, in my opinion, it's just a random occurrence. If DG and SKT want the threads deleted, I'm sure the mods would do it. I hope the mods give future OPs a choice in the matter. So I vote for dropping it, and seeing if it develops into a problem. If it does, then petitions and letters might be a good step.
I'm hopeful that your position is not one of heated debate being a bad thing (somehow I suspect that it may not be your position). I believe this forum has real value because debate is practiced here. Unlike some other forums, there is no seemingly deliberate personal attacks and negativity bordering on warfare. At 50+ we should be open to debate, differences of opinion, and have that ability to accomodate. I think you are spot on to recognize this as a small thing. A handful (maybe less) of posts were moved, and while I agree that they should have been moved, if they had not, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

As to those who are worried about where their posts end up, consider the following. Anytime you send something into cyberspace you must realize that it is now open to the entire world. Perphaps one of the hardest things for me to remember is that once I hit the key that sends information into cyberspace, I no longer have control over it. As someone who has always had a hard time censoring myself, this continues to be a real concern for me. I often "say" something that in hindsight I wish I had not.

Finally, it seems that every several months we work our way through some sort of issue (e.g., most recent prior to this was the Diego thing). I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of natural self-regulating process beyond our control.