View Single Post
Old 09-03-07, 06:27 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I think this is a bit unfair. Car culture can be unpleasant for people who aren't in cars, true, and it does really mess up our urban public spaces, but I'm not convinced it dehumanizes the drivers of the cars. Every time a motorist yells, "Get on the sidewalk, a**hole!" I don't feel that I'm interacting with an automaton; I'm reasonably certain that it's a very human jerk behnd the wheel of that SUV. At such times, I don't blame the vehicle, I blame the driver. And let's not even pretend that bicylists are that much more connected to their surroundings than car drivers. I've seen more than my share of fellow cyclists who, when on their bikes, act like the Borg.
Maybe...they have proven that some minor mannered people that are normally calm, cool, and collected become raving maniacs behind the wheel of the car. They have also proven that stress levels on many people rise dramatically when placed in a car in rush hour traffic. Jekyll and Hyde syndrome if you will. People commit hit and run accidents all the time as well as near misses. I believe in part they subconscious believe they can get away with it. This in some cases is supported by the police. I have had things thrown at me from cars and trucks, noted the license number, reported it and been told that unless the officer sees the incident there is nothing they can do about it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon