Old 09-03-07, 08:55 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by supcom
A silnylon tarp tent that sleeps two comfortably can weigh less than your old pup tent.

A soda can alcohol stove weighs much less than your old SVEA 123. There are titanium pots that are very light.

Down is still down and still the best thing out there for warmth vs weight or warmth vs compressibility. synthetics are getting closer, but aren't there yet.

Sleeping pads have gotten lighter and more packable.

There is a lot of good ultralight camping gear available. There's plenty of heavy stuff out there as well. Like most things, you need to do your research.
Well, OK. Tarps are tarps. Tents are tents. Yes, Tarps are lightweight, but tarps aren't at all new. They might be one of the oldest man-made shelters of all time.

Soda pop can stoves aren't new either. They are just home-made alcohol stoves like the ones that have been around since the 1940's. I dunno, ounce for ounce, BTU for BTU, I don't think the SVEA has been beat yet, in reality. I have used a lot of the newer stoves, but after the burp, you have to ask yourself if it is really all that great.

Keep thinking. I like the way you think.