View Single Post
Old 09-04-07, 09:59 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
When the original Counterpoint/'Viewpoint' first hit the market back in the '80s, did get to test ride one. Rode it in both the pilot (upright) and in the stoker(reclined) position.
The original Counterpoint shut down due to some legal issue after several successful years and Bilenky is now building the Viewpoint with some changes/updates from the original.
Personally I do not like riding upright (mt. bike); but did like the semi-bent position. This design has the unique advantage that pilot and stoker have an excellent view of the road ahead. Pilot can easily whisper 'sweet nothings' in stoker's ear too!
Independent shifting was a nice idea on the bike we tested; pilot controlled chainrings/front derailleur and his own rear feeewheel; stoker controlled a separate freewheel so she had her own cadence choice; an advantage for couples who have totally different cadences/abilities.
Bike was easily rideable as a solo and the vacant recumbent seat could be used to haul stuff (groceries, etc). Also made for a shorter wheelbased tandem.
If I recall, stoker compartment had an adjustable boom for folks with different length inseams.
Of course a setup like that runs a bit of a complex chain system, but all worked out very well.
In the stoker position, I felt that by pushing my back into the rear of the seat I could get more 'oomph' out of the pedals.
Truly a novel/remarkable bike design, but not meant for everyone.
Just our impressions from 20 years ago!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem