Old 09-05-07, 10:07 PM
Newspaperguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My fondest touring memories are not the warm, sunny days with blue skies, the wind at my back and perfect road conditions, even though I enjoy cycling under such conditions. Instead, I'll look back and smile when I remember the more difficult days — cold, windy weather, long tiring climbs up mountain passes, head winds, flat tires, rough roads and the risk of a storm when I'm far from shelter. Those elements add an extra challenge to the tour. It's no longer a predictable process of getting from one location to another; it now has the added dimension of facing the unexpected or difficult elements.

Keeping the enjoyment of life on the tour begins with a proper attitude. I can view the difficult experiences as nuisances or annoyances, or I can view them as special, unique experiences or gifts from God. I can complain about the challenges or I can embrace them and enjoy each moment of the trip. This doesn't come naturally and it's probably part of the reason more people don't take up cycle touring.