View Single Post
Old 09-06-07, 07:22 AM
flargle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92degrees
I still don't get the even laps thing. Just saying. I don't know much about running but I don't picture you bogged down behind half a dozen runners unable to pass for half a lap while running track? Get off first, hang tough, finish strong. Just my .02! Have fun.
It's getting a bit old, but I still want to dissect this a bit.

All else equal, a steady pace is the most efficient way to get from point A to point B. Pretty uncontroversial, that.

I'm curious what series you race that passing after the first lap is such a huge hassle. Perhaps it's a big hassle in a mtn bike race over singletrack, but cross?

It's inspiring when guys like Trebon or Nys lead from start to finish, and if you're that strong, God bless you. The rest of us have to be more strategic in how to spend our tank. [And if you actually are leading from start to finish, you're probably sandbagging and should cat up.]

Perhaps there is a fundamental misunderstanding: I am not suggesting you start the race at the very back. Get a snappy start, try to avoid pileups, but then find your pace and do your work. Let the rabbits do their thing, and say hello as you reel them in on the back half of the race.