View Single Post
Old 09-06-07, 09:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
Getting back on track: I really don't think it's the cars that make people less human. I encounter hundreds of drivers every day who actually act as though I, on the bike, am a human being who shouldn't be run over. Many of them even go out of their way to be polite, sometimes to an extent that unnecessarily screws up the flow of traffic.
Well... a human being gets in a car, turns on the engine, and the radio, and drives... no, this does not dehumanize. It's the needing that car, and being unable to get anywhere without it; that's what dehumanizes. We have hired our city planners to build a road system that can only be navigated by cars. We have shifted the focus of much of our world from the person to the person in the car, with the result that we're all somewhat dehumanized.