Thread: New Bike!
View Single Post
Old 09-07-07, 01:57 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
There are several of us here with the short leg/long trunk problem. This leads to questions about negative numbers and the formula's for standover height.

Theory has it that Italian designed bikes have shorter virtual top tubes for a given seat tube height and are not suitable for "us"
I went down an measured it compared to my same-sized Bridgestone. The top tube is 1" longer. I thought that would be a good thing, but it may not be. I have to do some stuff to it before I can really ride it a long way. I know, for one thing, the cranks are too long, and also that the gearing is totally beyond my abilities.

It has that funny 600/ultegra group on it, and I'm trying to figure out what dang parts I need. I may have to just bring it in to a shop.

I think I just really like the history of bikes, and how different they all feel. I can totally see me with my Atlantis as my main bike for the next 30 years, with a couple of ever-changing special-use bikes. I'll always want a fast, pretty bike and I'll always want a utility errand bike. Part of the fun is seeing what each bike has to offer, and what its soul is like! But since I always* have to swap out the stem and bars it's a dang good thing I've learned how to do it myself so I don't have to keep buying new ones.

If I don't fall in love with this bike, I can sell it for the same price (probably more) in a year or two and get to know another bike. But so far, I'm enamored with it.