Old 07-05-04, 09:29 AM
mntbikedude
Stand For Something

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock, Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next week my 18 year old son and I will head down the west coast starting in Victoria BC on our bikes. This fall he heads back to college and it got me thinking back to when he was five. I had just come back from a week of being gone on business and he looked up at me and said,"dad we need to spend much more time together". Well those simple words struck my deep inside and since that time I made some changes.

I refocused my own career and put my family at the top of the list. Yes that meant I missed a lot of opportunities to advance my business, however looking back over the years since I wouldn't trade the adventures that I have had with my children for anything.

With this son we have camped out over 200 times, biked the 400 mile oregon coast, snorkeled the Caribbean, hiked everywhere from the depths of death valley to the top of the world trade center. Literally too many adventures to list. One of my favorite Christmas gifts was when this son presented me with a scrap book titled Dad and Jakes most excellent adventures.

Now as we start what could be one of our greatest adventures and perhaps our last,and as
he heads into adulthood my thought is to ask my son. Well did we spend enough time? For me I have made a lot of dumb choices in my life,but I have never regretted the time I have spent with my children. I will always be grateful that this wonderful son looked into my soul and said, Dad we need to spend much more time together.

MBD

Last edited by mntbikedude; 07-05-04 at 11:49 AM.