Thread: Spokes Rant
View Single Post
Old 09-09-07, 02:04 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I think the whole LBS thing is getting silly here myself.

I'm on my third rear wheel now, I've replaced at least four tubes since December 2006 and the frame broke at the seat and crank tubes!

1. I put a spare wheel on to replace the original with F&S Komet hub, had LBS do that and they should've put the sealant in it. Was quoted a price and did not think about it. That was 12 Thursday, on 13 Friday I went out on the Yturri Beltway between S. Oregon and the SW 4th Ave/Hwy 201 "Airport Corner". By Verde Drive the rear was going down and 2 miles later at home that tube was also toast. 14 Saturday I went back and got it discussed with the owner, that was free.

2. That wheel and it's Shimano hub (the brake was nicely adjusted by the previous owner to stop by telepathy ) broke 4 spokes and was out of true. LBS owner told me I needed a new wheel as the oldies weren't liking me. $60 and I installed the wheel with a little difficulty as I thought clearance between the slots and the new axle nuts was a little tight compared to the old ones. The wheel slipped once but not as much as the old ones and the chain jumped. I took it to LBSO and he got it back okay.

3. He said something about the seat and I thought the seat was broken at the mount. Did not think about it, thought his statement and my diagnosis were alike.

4. Two daze later someone who didn't even know me pointed out that the seat tube was free from the crank tube!?!

Looks fixable but HEY! I've spent over 600 bucks easily on 3 bikes in 1.5 yrs, I know what to do about my weight vs. the bike and I had the start of the fairing ready to go. My friend Gary, who did the bending and welding for the saddlebag mount in the farm shop he works at, can likely repair it. Winter is coming and I have so many things to do. Then there's the fact I've taken a GLITASONE (Actos) for Type II Diabetes for over 10 years. There's a chance the pill has hindered losing fluids and weight and may cause congestive heart failure (my best interpetation and my best friend's dad died a horrible death from it). I really want to have a comfortable home and not be lacking, or at least a decent carpet. My parents are 61 and 64 and slippery on finances from too many years living like they were 30, Mom can't find work and Dad's wrists gave and he lost a career as a mechanic of 35 years, they lost one house then collapsed to a smaller one and Mom babysits my sister's kids so those two can work. I'll be damned to let them slip into a retirement center or a home and it really hits my mortality upside the head. I have the youngest parents in my high school class ('84), most of their parents are gone and my best friend's mother died of Alzheimer's Disease (two years in which I never saw her again and that was miserable). The storm winds pulled the board out of the AC window for the third time and I should've left the plastic up that I pulled down in June.

Maybe the LBS isn't such a deal, but I'm not such a walker.

Anyhoo, stay well, Becky and I will crank a Pioneer for you (porch light's got to be replaced, blue dial lights look better).

Steven

Last edited by Rollfast; 09-09-07 at 02:11 AM.