Old 09-09-07, 08:43 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
+1
I usually advise people to choose a low end Rockhopper over a loaded Hardrock for about the same $, especially if I think they might end up getting into riding more seriously. I would rather have a better frame and fork than disk brakes or slightly better components. Not to say that the Hardrock is a bad bike, just that the Rockhopper is a better one.
I went the route BluesDawg recommends, and purchased a base Rockhopper in 05 (with V-Brakes). I'm glad I went that route. The frame has provided a good base for upgrading over time. Disc brakes are great, but unless your dad is riding serious downhill, I'd go with V-brakes and upgrade other parts.
I subsequently purchased a Specialized XC Comp dual suspension with Avid disc brakes. Yes, I like that bike more than my Rockhopper, it also costs 3 times what the Rockhopper cost and is not as fast as the Rockhopper without further (costly) modification.
IMHO, Go with a good hardtail.