View Single Post
Old 09-09-07, 11:35 AM
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts of a New Bike.

Being that I work at a Trek/Fisher/LeMond/Bianchi dealer part time I do get the chance to see and ride a lot of bikes. Next spring, or before, I will be buying my first Road'ish bike in many many years. I had a surprise waiting on me yesterday in a new 2008 Lemond Poprad. One very nice bike and very close to what I THINK I am looking for.

The other Mistress might be a 2008 Trek Portland and looking at the spec's the two bikes are very very close. Major difference is in the Frame with the Lemond getting TruTemper Platinum OX tubing and the Trek with the Black Series Alpha Aluminum tube set.

The Poprad Disc is a beautiful classic looking bike and is stunning with it's Red Metallic Paint.
The Portland is very close in design and I have not seen the new off-white Pearl Paint yet.

The Trek gets a full Shimano 105 group where as the LeMond has almost the same but with the Bontrager Compact Double Crank spaced for Cyclocross.

I want something FAST, Durable and Classy. While I could swing a new Pilot 5.0 or maybe a Madone 5.2, I do try and ride bikes closer to my real budget and what "MY" Customers would ride. I never have been and never will be a racer, but I do enjoy the occasional burst of speed.

Most of me says to stick with the Steel is Real bike. The one we have weighs in at 22 lbs built up in a 56cm frame. This is a lot of bike and with a sey of road tires would be plenty quick in City Riding or out in the Country. The Portland with it's 105 Triple would give me wider range gearing and with its rack mounts might be more versatile.

So... I throw this out to the folks here and ask for your opinions.

Chris