View Single Post
Old 09-10-07, 01:49 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimr
FYI

The entire Cannondale Daytripper line has also been discontinued with NO new crank forward design to replace them.

That's too bad. These bikes are extremely comfortable to ride, and I think would be great bikes for potentially millions of would-be riders, but they can't seem to find anything beyond a small niche market.

The Daytrippers had high price tags considering that their bikes were slow, comfort bikes. Not that many people are looking for $700-$800 slow comfort bikes. RANS sells at above that price point, but their crank forwards are more performance oriented.

The Daytrippers were better bikes than the Townie, Suede, and Pure bikes are.

Specialized offers a couple lines of relaxed geometry hybrids, their Crossroads and Expedition bikes. These aren't quite flat-foot geometries, but the cranks are a bit further forward than on a traditional bike. The Crossroad Elite is pretty nice, with many components being a grade above what is on the Pure & Suede, and maybe two grades above a Townie. Likewise for the Trek Navigator 3.0, which is very similar. I like the new 2008 Navigator 3.0 with the two-tone green paint job.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post