donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Find a bike shop that has the Specialized "Butt-O_Meter. (No, I'm not puling your leg on the name). It's a piece of memory foam that measures the width of your Ischial Protuberences (Sit Bones at the bottom of the pelvis), so you can determine the correct width of your saddle. That's the first point.

Let's see, you ride a Cannondale Comfort 400, fairly upright, so I'd take a serious look at the B66, a womens version of the B67. The B33 is designed for pipe post mounts (Old Style).
I agree with Tom about the "butt-o-meter". You need to know your sitbone span before you make choices about your saddle. However, he's a little off with the saddle types. The B-33 just has more/stronger springs than the B-66/67 saddle and is a little bit wider. Traditionally, the B-33 is popular in underdeveloped countries with terrible roads. The B-66 and the B-67 are the same saddle. The B-66 is for straight pipe style seatposts and the B-67 is for the newer, "microadjust" seatposts. There are 2 variations of these that are considered "women's" models - the B-66S and the B-67S. The noses are shorter. The "S" stands for short. Traditionally, that was because women wore skirts and dresses to ride, but some women (and even a few men) just find it more comfortable. Other people can't stand them. I have the B-67 regular and I'm perfectly happy with it. There's really no way to know which kind you'll like until you try them.

First thing is to get your sitbone measurement. It has nothing to do with how wide one's rear end is. You can gain or lose weight and that will remain the same, although childbirth can widen it a bit in some women. The average woman's span is between 5 and 6-ish inches. My span is 7 inches, so I went with the B-67. I would also recommend you get your Brooks through Wallingford. Bill has helped so many women choose the right saddle for them. If he knows your sitbone span and something about how and what you ride, he'll suggest one or more models for you. The best part is if you buy from him, you have 6 months to try it out and still be able to exchange it. No one else does that. I've heard of women who have gone through 4-5 saddles before they found the perfect one for them.

If your pain is especially centered in your soft tissue "bits", a Brooks may well work for you.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."