Old 09-11-07, 06:01 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Newbie tandem rider...seeking buying advice.

Ok so I am that newbie that the other forums will crush with no pitty. If you venture into Road Cycling you may have seen me there...long time roadie, little bit of a MTB rider and fixie commuter. The reason for this post is family cycling...in particular my son. For the last 3 years he has ridden behind daddy on his trailer bike but now he is getting too big for it. I could go to a 24" wheel trailer but he is getting near the suggested weight limit of 80 lbs (he is 50" and ~60 lbs) so I think it might be a waste to go that direction.

But we like our family rides...so what to do?

Tandem of course. But which one?

So I have been eyeing the Co-Motion Periscope for it's adjustibility and I assumed the price was in line with other quality but lower level tandems...then I looked closer and talked to my LBS and it turns out I can get a new Cannondale Street (the 26" tandem Cannondale now sells) for $900 less than the Periscope Scout 26 that I was eyeing up on the net (no Co-Motion dealer in the state of PA according to their site). Now that wont be the total price of the Cannondale because I will need a child stoker kit...but still figure a $700 delta in the prices of the two bikes.

It is a bit of money but not a total deal killer...if the co-motion is the way to go I will go that way. Tandems East who is a Co-Motion and Cannondale dealer said they prefer the Co-Motion (because of margin maybe?) but I figured I would go for some independant advice.

Which way would you go?

Last edited by Grasschopper; 09-24-07 at 11:15 AM.