Old 09-11-07, 02:34 PM
mrsalty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riderx
Are the chainring nuts made for a double or single ring? If they are made for a single you need to get the ones made for a double. If not, the chainring is the issue, but I've never seen a modern (4 arm) with hole larger than a standard set up. My bet: a new set of double stack chainring nuts and bolts will fix your problem.

I currently have a set of DOUBLE (ie: built to hold 2 rings to a spider setup on the crank) chainring bolts on the setup.
A single would never have reached through both rings and the crank spider.
Good idea on the problem, but not the case for my setup.

I went home last night and started to size out all of my chainrings.
I found that my 'Snap' (the one pictured) my Blackspire (x3), and a Bontrager ring (44t from a std mtb setup) ALL had slop and movement with a chainring bolt in the hole. So I am saying that the tolerances seem to be very large.
**note, I used the lower, or the back side piece to size, as it is the larger of the two chainring components.............(the receiver, or the girl part if you will).

I have a Sugino 42t that came on my Profile carbon crank spider that has very little, if any movement of the chainring bolt inside the hole.

My question would be, how much 'slop' do others see in the tolerance of the chainring bolt and the chainring hole?

In the meantime, I will either put on my BMX cranks, or I will hamfist a single ring, and flip the bolts around backward on two of the four holes.

Love SS riding, but the amount of equipment BS I have had to deal with since starting has been SIGNIFICANT.