Old 09-12-07, 08:15 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slagjumper
This is an interesting question on a few levels. I know that the US population is aging. This will mean that in some areas with a lot of old folks, there might be less traffic in the next 20 years.

Another thing occurred to me recently while reading about the sub-prime mortgage debacle. There are some areas where there are a lot of bad mortgages. What if a bunch of cyclists decided to bale out an urban area that had bad mortgages? Ohio apparently has some problems. So does anybody with a credit score of 700+ and 10% down, want to move to Cleveland and get a cheap house?
Funny. There are quite a few houses popping on the market in Cleveland Heights, an inner neighborhood of Cleveland. I have many friends there - and they've started the 'neighborhood' of friends. There are now 10+ folks that all know each other from school (college, grad school, even some from HS) all living within 3 blocks of each other. The bulk of them live on back to back streets. (I grew up in Cleveland burbs and went to school at the Institute of Art, lived on both sides of town...)

After a good friend of mine moved in he took to meeting the neighbors and getting to know the street. It is a neighborhood that could have swung in the wrong direction - and we joked that the best way to improve your neighborhood is to dig in and encourage good people to move in. That is what happened. There is still quite a bit of work to do... but they like it, and several of them live only a few miles from their offices... and they've started getting on the bikes.

Your project idea sounds a bit like the 'free state project'.