Old 09-12-07, 10:40 AM
Rutnick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are riders out there that would look down on LX or X.7 components. Honestly, that's the lowest I will go.

Now, below that and especially alivio/altus/acera/ and x.4 stuff...doesn't shift as well, isn't as robust, get what you pay for basically. HEAVIER by a long shot.

If you want to do some trail riding from time to time then I'd say it is ok but for HD use, I'd stay away like the plague. Never seen an ad from shimano touting how awesome their alivio line is. Come see our alivio with big giant ugly derailer with ugly 13 tooth pulleys.

Honestly, if you want square taper and 8 speed only, alivio baby or just buy some NOS 8 speed XT stuff or STX-RC on ebay.

Personally, the alivio/acera shifters alone would be enough for me to stay away from them. Especially the ones with the integrated v brake levers.

Originally Posted by Flash
We often see postings from people advising new riders to "stay away from Alivio, it is junk."

This poll is an extension of an earlier thread. I'm curious to hear from those who have actually ridden Alivio/Altus/Acera/X.4.

see poll

thanks