Old 09-13-07, 06:22 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are such an endless array of options. I started looking at the Pinerello F3, worked myself up to an F4 - was leveling out at $6000, wife was saying - go 4 it but I just couldn't justify it. I had not ridden an F3 or F4 but had done enough reading about them. I poked at the scotts last night, I can get a good deal on one of those - basically shop discount through a friend. From what I can tell they ride about the same. The issue is I will not know what I have until I have ridden a few 100 miles on it. Acceleration is hard to tell in a parking lot - If I were to do my favorite 30 mile loop on a cool day with no wind and checked the speed at each of my speed check points I would know for sure. and as one post said - at this level they are so close. Every CF bike I have ridden has not felt like an improvement over my steel Simoncini, they are 4 to 5 lbs lighter so I know they must be accelerating faster but without a scientific measurement it is hard to tell. What I have found over the years is that it is the little things over a long distance that make the differenence. 105 lbs of air vs 90 lbs of air in the tires is worth about 0.5 mph average on a 30 mile ride, a clean lubed drive train is worth a few tenths on my 16 mile ride over a few weeks of chain grunge. With a jacked on a cool morning will drop a few tenths.

What i expect out of this new bike is by mid summer next year to move to the fast club rides from the touring rides. The touring rides average about 18 - 19 mph over 50 to 60 miles, the fast rides are more like 21 with some added hills. Thats my goal anyway. I won't be riding much anymore this year - I have already spend 4 days this week on the trainer.

The deal I have worked out now has the expert less than 2K. Tonight I just proposed trading the wheels up to Ksyrium SLs and adding speedplay X2s - which I have been riding for the past 12 years. I have a number in my mind - if they can hit that we gotta deal. If they don't I'll buy the bike - ebay off the wheels before I ride them and set it up the way I want it. I think I can live with the Ultegra and DA which comes with it, If after a year or two I don't like them I'll put me beloved campy on it and ride into bike heaven. If the ride proves too stiff for centurys my Simoncini will still be in the stable and we will do the dance weve done so many times in the past.