Old 09-16-07, 02:21 PM
charles vail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stinkin auto drivers

Originally Posted by Wordbiker
I know Donna, I'm just venting a bit here. I don't live in New mexico, but my wife is from there and we live only 50 miles from the border in CO.

To me the tragedy is more than the loss of life, it is the disregard for the value of that life displayed by the media and law enforcement's downplaying of the event due to the "poor choice" of riding a bicycle versus driving a car. I can understand if by law there's nothing the police can do, but making asinine statements to the news instead of showing some sympathy to the bereaved survivor or offering condolences to the families involved would show much better judgement.
+1 on that...........The fact is, there are quite a few instances where auto drivers are not attentive or driving defensively. They are often on a cell phone, hung over, going too fast or otherwise not in control of their vehicle. I have experienced many instances where auto drivers have disregarded my safety and simply dismiss my presence on the road. Passing me and turning in front of me, making left turns when I have the right of way, pulling out in front of me and passing too close are the most frequent offenses. Motor homes and trucks hauling horse trailers are the worst offenders, in my experience , as are upper class females driving SUV's, while putting on makeup and talking on their cell phones. I nearly always wear a highly visible orange or yellow shirt and frequently use a flashing LED taillight and headlight so I know they see me, in fact I use my rear view mirror and I see that they see me and still they cut me off, all the while yakking on their cell phones. The fact is, it is usually the auto drivers fault in most cases......I have been fortunate so far. Its often the same for motorcyclists, auto drivers look right through you as if you were not there at all and since you pose no threat to them personally, they mentally dismiss the consequences of their negligence. If a large slow moving truck or tractor were on the side of the road do you think auto drivers would see the threat and take the appropriate action? Many people should not be allowed to drive.........I think one appropriate punishment for auto drivers who hit bicyclists should be that they are required to ride with traffic on a bicycle, for a certain distance to work every day. This is of course if the accident is truly judged an accident and not negligent homicide. I don't think auto drivers take seriously their responsibility and often think they own the road and refuse to get out of their bubble of un-awareness.