View Single Post
Old 09-18-07, 10:27 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Costello
Hi guys. I'm looking at an old Raleigh Twenty this afternoon and was hoping you guys can help me out. I'm a fatty (6'3", 280) and everything about a folding bike doesn't seem right for me . I'm changing my location soon to a mass transit-friendly area and a folding bike would be a great help. I know I'll have to make some modifications to it due to my height, but will my weight be that huge of an issue? Pardon my ignorance, and thanks for the help!
Hmmmmm, well I recall that some of the guys from the Clydesdale forum have folding bikes. I forget which models they have and how heavy they are. I am sure that at 280, you are above the stated max weight for most mass produced bikes; although the max weight is typically conservative. I think that if you worked yourself down to 250, you would have a lot more choices.

You can definitely get a Bike Friday since they will produce one with thicker tubing for taller and heavier riders. But relative to a used R20, you will definitely pay a lot more for the bike. As you may know already, they are now producing a more commuter friendly bike called the tikit.

-G

EDIT: In case you are unfamiliar with the brand, the (very) rough dollar figure for a low-end Bike Friday will be $1000.

Last edited by invisiblehand; 09-18-07 at 01:23 PM.