Old 07-10-04, 05:56 AM
str8shooter

Bikes: '02 Trek 7200, '04Trek 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnet1
I would not buy from any type of mass merchandise store i.e. sporting goods, Wally World, etc. They do not have the service and support that a local bike shop can provide. When I purchased my Rans Tailwind I was blessed by an excellent dealer. He told me to bring the bike back for a tune up at 100 miles. The tune up was free. He touched up the spokes on the wheels and made sure they ran true, adjusted the derailleurs, and then re-torqued just about everything. As I loaded up the bike for the hour's drive home he said "I'll see you at 1000 miles!". A few days later I received a package in the mail from him. It was a RANS T shirt, along with a nice letter showing appreciation for the purchase of the bike. How many mass merchandisers will do that? The key is to find a good dealar and then stick with them.

'bent Brian
I have to agree with Brian. Buy from a reputable bike dealer. The free tuneups are a plus no a must. you usually get to test ride before you buy. One of the biggest reason to buy from a good shop is fit. A bike shop will make sure you walk out the door with a bike that fits and adjusted for your specs. If a bike don't fit right whether it cost $50 or $1000. You can throw that term "comfort bike" out the window. Its also worth the extra money to have a service department to handle any problems you may encounter.

If you have a Trek dealer near you look into a Trek 7100. I believe they can be had for around $279. A friend of mine has a 7100 and thinks it a great bike,and had no problems. I myself have a 7200 and put over 3400 miles on it in 2 years. No problems whatsoever. The back tire is showing signs of wear, but who's complaining. Whenever I thought it felt a little sluggish in the shifting department I just took it in for the free adjustments.

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but sometimes that little more than you wanted to spend saves you more in the long run.

God Luck
str8shooter