View Single Post
Old 09-18-07, 10:38 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a 4-lane 55 MPH Hwy for a good portion of the way up. That being said, there's a substantial shoulder, and I've never felt particularly intimidated on it. Going back down you can nearly keep up with traffic.

You can avoid some of the faster sections, near the bottom, by taking a detour Old Waterman Canyon Road, which will parallel the 18 for a few miles and then rejoin it shortly before Crestline.

The most intimidating sections are going to be once you get past crestline and it narrows to two lanes. To be honest, I'm not certain I've ever ridden my bicycle through that section. I did nearly get creamed by a kid backing out of a pull-out, at high speed, while I was on a leisurely late-night bimble on my motorcycle. Unbeknownst to me, it was prom night at Rim of the World HS. Had I known that I'd have been nowhere near the area...

If memory serves, the last time I rode near there, we rode into Crestline and took Lake Gregory Drive across to the 18 and then down to Running Springs and back down the 138.