Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by chinook
For a bike commuter the city leaves much to be desired. The roads are in worse shape than any other in North America. Anyone on a roadbike must swerve around numerous potholes and put themselves in danger. I've given up my roadbike for a mountainbike and a cyclocross, there are too few good roads to ride.
For driving the roads leave something to be desired, as well!! I have not figured out a route from the south end of town to the University where there is no construction. According to the construction maps the roads are being dug up everywhere in the south end of town, and according to my own experiences, that's true. On my first couple commutes, I sat in construction traffic for over an hour ... just sitting, not going anywhere. I was almost pulling my hair out with frustration (I hate sitting in a stationary, running vehicle), and what I noticed was that as the traffic finally made it through the construction area, they picked up speed and then exceeded the speed limit out of frustration and [I think] a desire to make up lost time. Not only does all that construction create hazardous driving conditions within the construction zone, but also after the construction zone.

Originally Posted by chinook
These two deaths are awful, especially the hit and run where the driver of the truck stopped and pulled the damaged bike from under his vehicle before driving off leaving his victim for dead. Perhaps some of this unfortunate publicity can be made an issue in the upcoming civic election. If nothing else civic employees should at least be given some training in how to deal with bikes on the road.
That hit and run one is shocking!