Old 09-19-07, 12:43 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oroluk Lagoon
Has anyone ever tried the Brooks model with the springs for longer rides?
I have two B67's. They're fine for any distance. But, that's me and my anatomy, plus a rather upright posture. I used to have North Road bars on my Trek 520, along with the 67. Sort of a 3-speed on steroids. It was just fine for centuries. It did attract alot of looks - some distainful, some in wonder. A few questions, too.

If you are asking about the Flyer, it's probably the one to use if you want a sprung model for a drop bar bike.

About the springs - I've said this before but it might bear repeating:
Brooks used to make different gage wire for different saddles. I think they have consolidated things around a single gage thickness, that being .193". This renders a very firm spring. Only a "purest" will notice any rocking or energy loss from these springs. They are really only noticeable on rather substantial road bumps. Still, a quick switch between a sprung and an unsprung saddle will be very noticeable. So, they work constantly, but they are very subtle.

On the older B73 - having three springs - they used to be .182" on the back ones. No more. Those are also the newer, thicker gage. I have taken my old B73 springs and put them on one of my B67's because they are so perfect. On the other B67 - now, don't anyone hyperventilate - I've actually installed cheap Murray springs from a $12 comfort saddle. Much more forgiving and still no discernable loss of energy to this rider.

I'm just saying that you can play with things to fine tune your ride - the whole ride, not just measurements and angles, and core exercises, and oil-or-no-oil, and ad infintum ad nauseum...

If you go with a Flyer and you don't like it, and you haven't dunked it in the local tar pit to "soften" it, send it to me for a fair price.