Old 09-19-07, 01:45 PM
ron4322

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Folks, I've just bought my first folder. Officially, it's for Mrs 4322, but that may be subject to some negotiation. Its a second hand Apollo Transition (20" wheels, 6 speed). It seems to be nearly new, except for some cosmetic damage to the mudguard.

Although I was actually on the lookout for a hub geared bike, this seemed to be particularly good value at the price, so I went for it. I've not had chance to fully check it over and riding it properly, but from first impressions I'm pleased. I've never owned a folder before, so I was not sure how good or bad it is, and just what to look for. I know its not some supercool titanium lightweight or a sexy extra small fold, and it doesn't have the cachet that others do, but for me I think its well suited (easy-going leisure rides from home, and carrying by car when going on holiday). Also, a reasonable weight. I've no means of weighing it, but I visited Halfords to look at the same model, before buying it, and it is a very similar weight to the Dahon D7 that Halfords also sell.

I already have a Dawes hybrid type bike (bought about 12 years ago). It's noticably lighter than that. My wife is looking to start cycling again, and our daughter is nearly 3 so we intend to cycle as a family. We decided to go for a couple of folders so that we can pack them in the car for holidays. We've got the Apollo, and will now start looking for another folder to go with it, although when cycling from home I can still use my full size bike. So now I start looking for another folder to go with it.