View Single Post
Old 09-21-07, 04:15 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilV
I'm quite sure that putting an extension on the steering post of my Merc would widen the folded size hugely. I suppose the manufacturers of folders mount the bars directly to the steering post to enable the fold to be compact. Doing so forces compromises like shrinking the cockpit size and creating very direct steering.
In terms of reduced cockpit size, Dahon "created" biologic geometry to off-set this compromise and other companies have done similar things. It seems to do the trick.

In terms of steering, I'd agree that an extended stem makes the ride more stable, yet increases folding size, but I think another significant reason why manufacturers don't include extended stems is because they don't want riders pulling back on the handlebar in order to obtain leverage. Incidentally, which would be the bigger issue: the headset being over-stressed or the handlebar post snapping off? My gut feeling is the latter.

By the way SC, you have a BEAUTIFUL backyard!