View Single Post
Old 09-24-07, 11:43 AM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a few weeks ago I completed my first wheel set. I'm a slightly bigger rider near 200lbs. I had to hunt a good deal, but managed to find some older 8 speed hyperglide dura-ace era hubs (which modern 10 speed cassettes will fit) on eBay for cheap. For rims I used generic 32h black Velocity Deep Vs, all laced with DT comp 2.0/1.8 spokes.

I built the rear first using Shraener's 32h 3x pattern to the letter. The first time tensioning I had some trouble and ended up rounding some nipples - even when using a tensionmeter. I ended up unthreading all the spokes so only 1 thread was showing and then carefully counted my turns this time and used my ear to gauge the relative tension.

The back wheel is stiff, spins smooth and has held true for a few hundred miles so far.

For the front I wanted something flashy, so I opted to radially lace. The lacing was obviously easier and faster, but I spent much more time messing with tension. I think when the shop cut these spokes there was some variance in length, since a few spokes barely have the last thread inside the nipple.

With both wheels mounted, I've gotten up to 40mph on some long winding descents a few times and am still here typing. Part of me is a tad skeptical of the front, but it's radially and laterally true and the tension is very balanced on all spokes.

Many lessons learned - and used Dura-ace hubs were worth the treasure hunting, they are so smooth!
There's no way I could've purchased new wheels as nice for the price I spent (just over $200 not including tools).

BTW: I don't normally browse this forum (merely 31 years of age), but found this thread in a search