View Single Post
Old 09-25-07, 04:59 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rugerben
I figured I'd et an answer like this. Ok, well here goes with showing my ignorance.
I'm 5'11.5" with a pant size of 34 in the length, so I usually ride medium to larger sized frame. I don't know exact size though. I'll measure the Puch tomorrow because that fits me pretty well.
I already know that I tend to prefer steel for a tube material. I'm not one of those "steel is real" guys. I just like the feel of it better than Aluminum.
What do I look for in lugs?
I'd be fine with any components that work. Suntour is what I have now on the Puch and they are great, but anything that is precise and works well is fine for me.
Friction shifters would probably be preferable, but honestly, I'd be ok with indexed.
The brand of the bike is not as important as something that is solid and will last under the conditions that I mentioned before. Something with a little bit of rarity is cool, just because it makes a good conversation peice. On the other hand, if it would interfere with the ability to find parts, forget it.
I'd like to be able to work on the bike myself, although I have a very good relationship with the LBS, and could very easily bring the bike to them and the mechanic would gladly help me fix any parts. As for being a project bike, I kinda like keeping things original. The only change that I might make to a bike would be to possibly put on some aluminum wheels, just becuase they are lighter, and might ride better. Even so, I'd take some Mother's mag polish to them, and polish them up to look like steel.

I'd be willing to spend...let's say up to the $400 range if it was something really really good. But would very strongly prefer to stick with $300 and below.
Assuming you are referring to rims, most good older bikes have aluminum ones.
Doesn't sound like you're too particular but want something that will ride and perform decently in a range of settings and at a relative bargain price. One of your best bets in that price range would probably be an older (80's) Trek. They came in racing, touring, and "sport" flavors, so you could probably find something that suits your purpose. Also a range of components, but they all perform pretty decently. Frames are all at least decent material, too. They're really a bit undervalued as classic riders, though they're generally not head-turners. You can do some research here:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/