Old 09-25-07, 04:32 PM
alexlockhart

Bikes: Retrogrouch!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ModoVincere
Seems like an overly complex solution. You could run an Inoled 20 light or two Schmidt E6 lights off the SON, probably install a bridge rectifier and some NiCad or LI AA batteries in the system so the lights don't go out when you are at a stop sign, all for 1/2 the weight and a lot less complexity.
Yes, but:
Originally Posted by alexlockhart
A frequent frustration for me when on long bicycle tours is the difficulty of keeping my batteries charged for my bike lights, cellphone, camera, laptop, and GPS.
The complexity is not for the lighting system, as there are far simpler solutions if that's all I want to do. Besides, the Inoled and E6 lights are less efficient (incandescent), less bright, and offer a less useful beam pattern than my Cree LED light system. The complexity of the system is necessary to be able to charge my various batteries while out on a long tour, which is the primary reason for its existence. I do have some better ideas from some discussions in the other 2 forums where this is posted which I think will result in a less-complex design, but it will still be necessarily more complex than a bridge rectifier and battery inline with the lights.

Alex