khackney
Bicycle Luge Racer

Bikes: Modern, old, fixed, mountain.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruco
Just wondering how the mechanics get a rider properly positioned (saddle height, etc.) after giving him a new bike. I have seen a couple of those switches so far, but no messing around with hex keys, etc.

I guess that the team cars carry spare bikes with the right specifications for the team leaders. But there's hardly room for 'carbon copies' for all the riders, is there?

One of the Euskaltel riders was seen switching to yet another bike (or perhaps back to his 'original' one) after he had been given a replacement bike. That would confirm that the spares do not always match riders' sizes, I think.
You're correct, the team leaders will have duplicates on the team cars. The rest of the spare bikes are set up in a way that could suit more than one rider. Example, they may have a small, medium, large on the rack. It won't be perfect, but it is rideable for the other members after a crash or major mechanical problem. If possible, they will switch back to the original bike if it can be fixed on the fly. In a pinch they can stop for quick adjustments. You may have seen Ullrich stop for a seat adjustment although that wasn't a spare. I figured the seatpost slipped.