Old 09-26-07, 04:21 PM
carcassonne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I don't see why a recumbent would cost more, techinically. It should cost less, isn't it ? Less tubing, less welding. Maybe the seat would absorb these savings, though. Anyhow, if it was not because they don't sell that much, they should be priced about the same as regular bikes. Maybe not at WalMarts to start with, but at least in bike shops along the Specialized and Treks.

In that respect the work that ActionBent is doing is a good step towards having less expensive recumbents. Mind you, I'd like to get an Optima Condor at perhaps $4000, but I'd also like to get a brand new Outback, as well as a brand new house, or one of these fancy sofas, etc...

There are not many bikes made in North America, isn't it ? I mean cheap ones. So we'll have to rely on Asian imports for affordable recumbents. At least one company is making them now. I think that if recumbents would sell more, the price they're being sold for here would drop. If not simply because you'd order 5 containers of them instead of only one.

On the other hand, the market pratices that supermarkets have prevents the 'little guy' from selling bikes. Eg, if the super store does not sell them they return them to you. If you are late by one hour on delivery day, they'll take your bikes at 10% discount, that is, if they do not refuse them.

As being mentioned, official competitions involving recumbents would give a big boost. Moreover, the bikes at competition would have ample space on the rear fairing for sponsor advertisement. I think recumbent races would be entertaining to the average sport TV type.

Apart from that we are not seeing advertisement for bikes - any kind - on TV, so commercials about recumbents would be a totally new hapenning in the TV world (I mean, not informercials - BTW, has AB tried that ?). Combined to a hype about recumbent competitions, this could yield to investments.

Then cops would be aware about these bikes as being very fast and would watch closely these funny bikers. Plain people would start to gossip about those 'fast bikes' and teenagers (you know, the crowd that already ride bikes in every which way) would eventually find it cool. Especially if it can be demonstrated that a recumbent is not only a senior type of thing (not offense to seniors here :-) but can also be a bike with which you can singletrack and do some funny stuff. Which is the case, anyways. Daredevils wouldn't do the same obviously on a recumbent, but at least so adventurous possibilities woudl interest the younger crowd.

Hey, get one of those pop stars to ride recumbents. Or get a politician. Both are anyways in the business for looks ;-)