genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by driveshaft_bass
So I had a 2nd mild road rage incident today in a little less than a full year of commuting (they happen much less frequently than this board originally led me to believe).

Basically the guy honked at me 3 times while I riding, pulled up next to me at a red light and told me that I should let cars pass me. I told him no, that I was allowed to use the lane, and there was another lane going in the same direction anyway. He told me not to act to tough, to which I simply reinstated that I'm allowed to use the lane. He drove off and muttered something that I couldn't hear. Probably "**** you, you think you own the road, but you're wrong, I own the road."

Anyway this got me thinking... A red light doesn't give you much time, but it certainly does allow for short conversations (most of the ones I've had were much more pleasant). So I was wondering what sort of calm, rational arguments can be offered to the drivers who initiate these kinds of idea exchanges. Obviously, they also need to fall into the category of "elevator speech" regarding time.

For example, my personal favorite is "you dont pay taxes" to which I think kin kifer's response is best: "public property can be used by anyone, regardless of who pays for it."

Thanks everyone, I hope to get some good insight out of this.
None. I have never had a calm rational conversation with anyone at a stop sign or stoplight. Their minds are made up and so is yours.

I have had calm rational conversations in parking lots however. The point being that if you approach someone, you should be calm and rational about it, and be prepared to illustrate your points with a flyer or card that outlines the point of law you want them to be aware of... otherwise it is simply he said/they said.

I made up and carry small cards that have the CA laws, that pertain to cycling, printed on them.

Regarding "you don't pay taxes," it depends on your area, but in most areas, home owners pay taxes that contribute to the construction and maintenance of public streets; motorists pay only a small share of gas tax that generally goes to interstate freeways... which cyclists don't use. But there is no way to convey that argument in a 1 or 2 minute red light.