Old 09-27-07, 04:45 PM
Tony O
Noob In Training...

Bikes: '03 Kona JTS , '59 Schwinn Traveller , '61 Schwinn Corvette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not sure how you post pics "inline" here or would add a few more (pm me if you know how).
btw, the seat is slightly lower than normal - this is how I had it for descent part of my ride which I find
is helped somewhat by lowering the seat.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments on it. The pics don't actually do the bike justice - plus it's dirty from it's inaugural ride, but it was a great learning experience. For those you who might want to undertake their own bike build from scratch I'm going to list components, costs, thoughts and also so I can get a final tally for my own check book (ouch!) Some of the prices will have shipping added to cost since shipping does add up when getting lots of seperate components.

I started off with Nashbar cyclocross frame ($120) and their carbon fork ($120, but I think discontinued?)
Also, I wanted to try out disc brakes on this bike so that became the important factor in many component decisions. I wanted road levers so in order to use discs, I ended up going with a used pair
of Avid BB7 for road - ($75 on ebay). Of course some disc specific wheels would be needed as well. You have limited choices here, I ended up finding some on CL - a new pair of Mavic A317 Discs w/Deore 525 hubs for $140. The cockpit consists of a Cane Creek S2 headset ($20 - Nashbar), stem - Ritchey WCS for MTN bike ($25 - Ben's Cycles), On One Midge Bars ($55 - Ben's Cycles), used Ultegra STI's ($130 ebay) and some bar tape (BBB $11). The Drive train consists of Sugino RD Compact Crank (48/36) w/Shimano un-73 bb, ($68 ebay), Ultegra FD ($25 Pricepoint), used XT SG (long cage/rapid rise) RD ($40 ebay), SRAM PG-950 11-34 Casette ($25 Ben's Cycles), SRAM 991 Chain ($25 ebay). I bought some cheap 40mm tires - IRC MythosCX ($10 ea -Nashbar), pair of Nashbar tubes ($10), $50 for cables, housing and the like (locally). The pedals were in a box full of spare bike parts - free! I have a seat on the way - WTB Rocket ($30 from nashbar) and I still need to purchase a seat post.

boy...that's all No wonder I feel like I spent that last two months of my life on this thing!
cheers,
Tony O