View Single Post
Old 09-27-07, 08:45 PM
Zonker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
The easiest way to get the chain off a hub-gear bike with horizontal dropouts is to loosen the hub nuts, push the wheel forward slightly (it should still be able to turn), and then rotate the cranks with one hand while derailling the chain by pushing sideways on it while you turn the crank. Much easier to get it off the front chainring rather than the rear cog.

Check out the Sheldon Brown / Harris Cycle link for a copy of the service manual at
http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/ for help on how to disconnect the cable. I have the SA-8 hubs and they are easy to remove once you understand how. I would bet the Shimano hubs are easy once you figure out the tricks. Just remember to be very careful with the shifter cable once removed. I trashed my cable on my wife's DT 8H while practicing putting it into a suitcase by carelessly bending it. I felt really stupid after that, and then I had to replace it before the bike would be able to be used again.

I recommend carrying space brake/shifter cables on any trip. Spare tubes and brake pads and other parts are also nice to have if you are going to be in more remote areas. Don't forget to bring the tools needed to assemble and disassemble the bike once you get to where you are going. I had a heck of a time getting a decent adjustable wrench in Bali when I needed one...

Good luck on your trip!
Pine Cone, want to say thanks, although I had already departed on my trip when you sent this. Sort of figured everything out you said above by trial and error. The BF was a breeze, the Swift, somewhat of a hassle. Both held up well though, for 315 unpaved miles from outside of Pittsburgh, PA to Leesburg, VA. We got off the C & O Canal Towpath there and did the last 35 miles straight to our hotel in Arlington, VA on a series of paved Rails to Trails paths (W & OD and Custis Trail). A *major* highlight of the trip was meeting Invisible Hand and his (dare I say?) better half for pizza & beer in Georgetown for a celebratory meal on Wednesday. The folders are fun, but I can't wait to get back on my Waterford, which I have neglected for months on end, vowing to only ride the Bike Friday while training for the trip. Have missed this forum over the past seven days!