View Single Post
Old 09-28-07, 07:23 PM
GlowBoy
GN BIKN

Bikes: 1990ish MTB converted to 'cross, custom Vulture 29"er, Swift 2-speed Automatix folder, Madsen cargo bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if a 1200 lumen light is washing out my blinkie ...

then the blinky ISN'T BRIGHT ENOUGH, is it?!

In any event, in the past I have found that even the EL410 or the Lightman adds substantially to the conspicuity factory. Remember that the EL410 or other blinky is aimed straight out in front of me, whereas the halogen is aimed down at the ground some distance in front of me. And the Lightman spreads its "beam" out in an extremely wide (perhaps too wide) pattern, but is still a substantial help from many angles. Even with the overspill of a nominally 25 degree halogen beam, either of these lights adds noticeably to conspicuity. But (like many on this forum) I want more.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Add a powerful steady light (not in blink mode) to your helmet and you'll get noticed far more than any blinking light...especially when you sweep it across someone's face.
What would be the rationale for having the helmet light in steady mode? Beside the fact that I'd have to take the batteries out and recharge them midweek under this scheme, it seems to me that the steady light would be substantially less conspicuous, especially if you're trying to catch someone's peripheral vision.

Last edited by GlowBoy; 09-28-07 at 07:30 PM.