View Single Post
Old 09-30-07, 10:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by markw
I did mine for about that. Fleabay/craigslist/veldrome swap meet. His tour is in July, which is why I suggested start piecing it together now. Spread that 1200 over a few months, build it like you want it.

Ha, detailed build... $958

http://www.wolfenet.org/?p=6

Of course this is 2004 pricing before component prices went through the roof.
Read just a little higher in that post. Total cost (in 2004 dollars) was $1298. He got back $340 for stuff he sold back on Fleabay. Can't expect that to happen every time. $1300 for his bike is more then you pay for the Cannondale or 520. And, to be fair, you have to add in shipping (probably close to an additional 10%), taxes (say 7%) and a whole lot of driving around to find the parts (let's be generous and add another 10%)...but it's probably more. That brings the price to around $1650. We can subtract the taxes because he'd have to pay that anyway bring the price down to $1540. Which is closer to the price of the Cannondale Touring 1. But I think the Touring 2 is a better bike

And in current dollars, the price could be substantially higher. As I've said before, building a bike is fun and rewarding. It is seldom cheaper then buy a complete bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!