Old 07-16-04, 07:20 AM
str8shooter

Bikes: '02 Trek 7200, '04Trek 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiliDog
str8shooter makes excellent bikes. I have owned both bikes...personally, for an all around cruiser, I love the Navigator. However, for short distances (under 10 miles) it is great-if you're going to get into riding further than that, one the 7000 series would be a better choice. There are people who do ride their Navigators for longer distances. Ride them both and see how it feels to you.

Ditto to the 100 over the 50...much more for your money.
I'll vouch for distance riding on a 7000 series bike. My average weekday after dinner ride on my 7200 is approximately 25 miles. I try to do that at least 3 times a week. On Saturday and Sunday mornings when I can get out my average ride is usually between 40-60 miles.

Two weeks ago Saturday I did my first hundred miler on it. Over all I felt pretty good after the ride, but after about 80 miles my butt began to suffer. Thats my fault I learned the hard way that cotton shorts don't cut it on a long ride. My previous long ride before this was 67 miles and the shorts weren't an issue.

The hundred miler was a must do ride: 1. To prove to myself I could do it. 2. It was the last long ride I planned to do on the 7200. It will be used on casual rides with friends, and possibly start using it as back and forth to work bike.

The next day I went to Dicks and bought my 1st pair of bicycle shorts. Never thought I'd see myself in spandex, but I must admit it makes for a more pleasurable ride.

The following Tuesday I upgraded to a Trek 5000 road bike. Did my first hundred miler on that last Saturday. My butt wasn't too bad off thanks to the shorts but, I felt a few aches and pains I didn't feel the week before. I may have to get used to the new riding position.

I will say through experience that a Trek 7000 series bike can be ridden comfortably for long distances, but do yourself a favor and wear the right shorts.