View Single Post
Old 10-02-07, 10:37 AM
AXPBallpark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done this before to keep my sanity during the local MS150. Here's my suggestion:

- pick up a pair of small un-powered speakers from radioshack. They'll probably cost $10-15.
- ty-wrap the speakers to the handle bars where they won't get in the way of anyone's grip. They'll need to be pretty secure to survive bumps in the road. I drilled two holes in the top of each speaker, about 1.5" apart, then put a ty-wrap through to create a tight loop on the outside of the speaker (just enough slack to squeeze another ty-wrap through, perpendicular to the loop). To do this, I pulled the speaker apart and put the business end of the ty-wrap inside the speaker so it's nice and flush outside. Repeat the procedure on one side of the speaker.
-then run a ty-wrap through the loop on the speaker's side and around the stem. Run another ty-wrap through the loop on the speaker's top and around the handle bar.
-Tighten up all the ty-wraps.
-Repeat with the second speaker on the other side of the stem. Make sure you put your side loop on the opposite side as the first speaker.
-Run the wire to wherever your ipod resides. I've mounted the ipod on the handle bars but the ipod would freeze every once in a while due to bumps in the road. I've had better luck keeping the ipod in a jersey pocket. Make sure the wire is clear of moving parts and that the speakers don't impede stearing, braking or shifting.
-with the volume all the way up on the ipod, it's just enough juice so you can hear the unpowered speakers but not so much that you can't safely hear traffic or each other talking.

Of course pictures would be better than my narrative. Let me know if you're interested and I'll take some photos. My wife and I just completed the New Jersey MS150 this past weekend. We put one speaker up front and one in the back. A funky time was had by all.