Old 07-17-04, 12:18 PM
jpel85

Bikes: specialized p.2, schwinn predator, to be built ss road/track machine.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
When you get your new cranks make sure antiseize is put on the pedal threads before installation
my bike is sitting at the LBS waiting for the new crank arm to come in so im sure theyll antisieze before they put the pedals on.

Originally Posted by madpogue
So the threads in the crank arm aren't pedal threads; they must obviously be a different size. Man, that IS dumb. Here's a "morbidly curious" question: are the thread -> arm inserts on the left arm reverse thread, or plain-ol' clockwise?
yeah they are a different size and it was right pedal that got stuck. that being said both inserts have regular(clockwise) threading so on the left pedal the insert is tightening as your loosening the pedal (which makes sense but is still lame for when youre tightening a pedal) but on the right side the insert and the pedal are both loosening (which is ********).

Originally Posted by uciflylow
Looks like the best way to fix this is to use some red Lock Tight on the insert, screw it into the crank, let it set up for 24 hours then the pedal should come right out of the insert, or is this something that has been tried?
it might have worked but i doubt it. i think the only way to get the insert off would be to dremel it (yeah thats how tight it was)the pedal must have mashed threads with the insert really bad from either a. doing drops or b. the pedal was torqued on too much by whoever built the bike. but o well the bike is at the shop waiting for truvativ to send out a new crank arm. the only thing that sucks is now i cant ride for like a week