Old 10-02-07, 09:52 PM
airbrake

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A clydes tale, breaking in a B-17

For about a year I was using a clunky cloud 9 seat 10.5" wide, sprung, etc. It got to where it just was not working for me anymore. I had a normal smaller gel seat from before that I had had problems with, but
thought I would give it another shot. It was better, but after a month I decided to get a b-17. The bike lost 926 grams with this change. This is how it went.

Day 1. By the time it came I already had 24 miles in that day, but i rode 6 miles. First impression...OMG this thing is HARD! This must be what it feels like to be ridden out of town on a rail.

Day 2 Set out to do a 15 mile loop. At about 10 I decide to ad a 7 mile extra loop. Turned out to be a bad idea. At about 16 I was squirming around like a sinner in church, and my hamstrings and quads were aching. It was pedal then coast the rest of the way home. 22 miles

Day 3 I start out with the idea that if I went a little slower my legs wouldn't hurt. This lasted a couple miles until I heard the train coming. Must beat train, the race is on! The way this loop is I have to beat it twice. No problem, trains move really slow here. After the race, I'm thinking that I won't call this thing
an ass hatchet, but It's definately using divide and conquer tactics on my butt cheeks. I think I'm too far forward on the seat so I move it ahead. As a woodworker my mind wanders. In my mind I design a jig with wooden "sit bones" that I can force down into the seat with c clamps! 16 miles.

Day 4 Did 20 in the morning, it still shocks me every time I get on, how hard this thing is. I ran into our local legend long distance rider and he says probably 500 miles till comfort. I am hoping for 200. I have read that a clyde has an advantage breaking in a seat, I hope so. I find that if I get off the bike every 5 miles or so it helps. In the afternoon I did another 10. 30 miles.

Day 5 Did 8 in the morning with the wife. In the afternoon I set out to do 20 or so, but had a tire bead separate and a spoke broke. No seat issues. 18 miles.

Day 6 Picked the bike up at the shop and took the long way home. Again, no seat issues. 15 miles.

So, I put in 107 miles over 6 days and while I can't say the saddle is comfortable yet, it is no longer the main thing I think of when riding. There is no sign of any break-in on the saddle, maybe my butt is
broken in!