Thread: Back Frozen!
View Single Post
Old 10-03-07, 10:25 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
WB, sounds like you went to a real Osteopath and not a "Quacko-practer" A true Osteopath follows a real medical discipline that works along the lines of PT.
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
A few years ago I slipped on some ice while wearing my carpentry bags. Both feet flew up in the air and I came down hard, landing with my full body weight on a chalk reel in a pouch mounted right at the small of my back. I nearly blacked out from the pain, but being a guy, "sucked it up and walked it off".

It wasn't til weeks later, after the initial injury had all but healed, I started having sciatica. I hadn't ever been to a chiro before either, calling them "quackopracters", but the pain and numbness was just too much, so I went to one that a trusted friend recommended. Yeah, the adjustments freaked me out, but what ended up making the most difference and allowed me to not have to go back since was her explaining that without working on the muscles that support the back, any adjustment won't last and will go back into misalignment.

She recommended doing crunches to allow my abs to bear more of the load, giving relief to my back muscles. The type she showed me is where you hook your feet under a couch, clasp your hands behind your head and alternately touch your elbows to your knees, right elbow to left knee, etc. It hurt a bit at first, but got easier quickly to where I could do 100 at a time. I only had to do them for a few weeks, and once the sciatica went away, haven't done them since.

This was an injury-related scenario and may be totally different than yours, but I don't see what harm it could do.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant