View Single Post
Old 10-03-07, 07:56 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EffSizzle
From what I gather so far in the responses is that "cycling specific" gear is a waste money. Is that true?

And let it be known, I don't plan on riding in the rain so "waterproof" gear isn't a necessity. I just want to be warm and comfortable.

Thanks...
Cycling specific gear for winter is not the best value for certain things. As has been mentioned feet and hands are the hardest things to keep warm but cycling specific products are not always the best way to go here. I do think that cycling specific winter tights and jacket and helmet cover are nice things to have. But it depends on the temps and how things are used. If you are not going to ride in the rain then an inexpensive more breathable windbreaker is better than a 100 dollar cycling jacket. However, in winter it is best to have some level of prepardness. The weather can change when you are out. Or you may never get to ride more than once a week if you expect perfect days.

In my opinion the first things you should buy for winter cycling is an approriate set of long winter cycling pants a helmet cover and some cycling shoe covers. Everything else can be barrowed from your existing outdoor gear collection. Or got for cheap at Wal-mart.

That's about 80-120 dollars for the pants, 15 dollars or less for the helmet cover and 35-50 dollars for the shoe covers.

In Seattle I imagine it usually stays above 35F in the winter but the chance of rain is high so you need things that are both breathable and water resistant. You can carry a light waterproof jacket with you but not put in on unless you are caught in heavy rain. One thing that works well is to carry a small backpack in winter and put your raingear in it and helmet cover and stuff for wetter, colder emergencies.

By the way, unless you are in the most heavy downpour you don't want completely waterproof gear on as you will get totally soaked from the inside.
The only reason for totally waterproof gear is when you must keep the very cold outer wet out of the inner warmer wet to slow down heat loss.

Last edited by Hezz; 10-03-07 at 08:11 PM.